[Cryptography] SHA-3 FIPS-202: no SHAKE512 but SHAKE128; confusing SHAKE security

dj at deadhat.com dj at deadhat.com
Wed Aug 12 19:55:55 EDT 2015

> addition: afaik nist at one point considered adding a remark that
> shakes are the preferred primitives. it is apparently missing from the
> final document. which i find unfortunate.

However in my experience so far, the shakes are the preferred primitives.
When you're getting a room of people in a standards group to first agree
on a minimum security strength (say O(2^128)) then to agree on a hash,
taking recent history into account and looking to the future deployments,
the shakes are the obvious choice and shake128 has already been adopted in
one standards body I'm involved in.