[Cryptography] SRP for mutual authentication - as an alternative / addition to certificates?

Ron Garret ron at flownet.com
Wed Aug 5 00:10:42 EDT 2015

On Aug 4, 2015, at 7:24 PM, Carlo Contavalli <ccontavalli at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 6:57 PM, Ben Laurie <ben at links.org> wrote:

>>> It's 2015 - I'm sure we could figure something out?
>>>
>>> Without thinking much...
>>

>> Right, because why bother to think about one of the longest standing
>> security problems we have on the 'net? Obviously you should be able to fix
>> that in your sleep.
>
> meh :-( I just associated "user experience" with the stigma associated
> with http authentication and various schemes based on it, which, among
> many other drawbacks, look horrible to the end user, and just lead to
> bad user experience.

FYI/FWIW I took a whack a re-inventing authentication a few years back and came up with this:

http://dswi.net

It’s essentially browser certs implemented in Javascript, which essentially delegates authentication to a trusted third party.  It was designed to be more secure than usernames and passwords (which is a pretty low bar) but super-easy for both users and relying-parties to use.

If there’s any interest in this I’d be happy to provide more details.

rg