[Cryptography] asymmetric attacks on crypto-protocols - the rough consensus attack

Stephen Farrell stephen.farrell at cs.tcd.ie
Sun Aug 2 17:36:15 EDT 2015

On 02/08/15 22:17, ianG wrote:
> So, just to forestall any thoughts in a particular direction.
>
> 1.  It is fruitless to name a person who might be a shill.  The reason
> is quite logical - the attacker is better at this game than you are, and
> will use your attempt to name a shill as a way to create discord, and
> will (eg) also use the same noise to name YOU as a shill.  Or worse.  In
> case you're wondering, this is known art, I'm not just talking out my
> posterior.
>
> tl;dr don't name a shill, you'll lose.  Attacker is better at it.

Strongly agree.

> 2.  Naming a WG is also amusing but distracting.  This is the security
> area.  The attacker exists.  He spends millions of dollars on this, he
> has been caught with his finger in the cookie jar before (nod to Watson
> on these points), and he's said in revealed docs he's going to do it. We
> all know that.

Also agree.

> So, it's a systemic problem.  It might be happening today in a group,
> but actually it's more likely a honed process across 10 or more groups.
>  What's the systemic response?
>
> 3.  This only applies to security when there is a known attacker who's
> decided to stop this particular protocol from interfering with his
> actions.  That's a fairly narrow slice of WGs.  Probably less than 10
> (speculation).

I disagree there. I think the attacker is probably more interested in
there being protocols for which turning on any security is hard. That
could be attempted by making some specific security protocol hard to
deploy, (*) but equally by making e.g. a protocol that requires that
every node have the ability to add/subtract/change PDUs. That way it's
hard to add any e2e security features, no matter how well designed
those are.

So I think it'd be as likely that lots of non-security-area WGs
would be targets. The latter might also be easier to influence, as
many participants could be commercially motivated to not want better
security and privacy as that has a cost.

> I.e., I'm not arguing to dispose of the entirety of the IETF.  Not today
> at least :)

I'm afraid you did suggest just that. The rough consensus thing and the
open-ness thing are inextricably intertwined and necessary for the IETF.
Take away one or both and you're no longer dealing with the IETF.

So while I'm interested in feasible ways to improve IETF process, I'm
not interested in surrender, but I said that already I guess:-)

Cheers,
S.

(*) I think I'm on record as saying that the IETF has in the past
failed in developing security protocols that were too hard to deploy.
It could be that this attack was a part of the cause of that. But
my take is that perfectionism and inexperience with scale on the
part of security folks was a bigger factor. In any case I think
we're improving in that respect, but have a ways to go.