[Cryptography] fighting designs in habituation since 1883

Hanno Böck hanno at hboeck.de
Thu Apr 16 06:39:19 EDT 2015

On Wed, 15 Apr 2015 13:46:46 +0100
Ian G <iang at iang.org> wrote:

> MRIs show our brains shutting down when we see security prompts
>
> This is your brain after repeated security warnings. Any questions?

While the result has some plausibility, yeah, I have some comments:
This raises all red flags for a poor study.

* Small number of participants
* MRI scans
* Probably not replicated and not pre-registered (high risk of
  publication bias)

These "we scanned their brains and we found something" studies are done
all the time - and very often they are just not meaningful in any way.

Read this:
https://blogs.discovermagazine.com/neuroskeptic/2014/11/19/reality-check-neuroscience/

And also this one, about MRI scans on dead fish:
http://boingboing.net/2012/10/02/what-a-dead-fish-can-teach-you.html

--
Hanno Böck
http://hboeck.de/