[Cryptography] Fwd: OPENSSL FREAK

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Tue Apr 7 22:34:23 EDT 2015

On Tue, 7 Apr 2015, Jerry Leichter wrote:

> There's some device out there - I can't remember what - that is limited
> by software to 150 uses.  Then you have to go buy another one.  (Or look
> around on-line for ways to reset the counter.)

Some printers do the same thing; they cannot be refilled because the
computer says no, and those can accept a third-party toner or ink etc will
crank up the consumption.

Oh, and some printer manufacturers regard reverse-engineering as a
violation of some IP or other, and have sued.

--
Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)   "Those who don't understand security will suffer."
http://www.horsfall.org/spam.html (and check the home page whilst you're there)