[Cryptography] Cipher death notes

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Tue Apr 7 02:05:15 EDT 2015

On 4/6/15 at 12:51 AM, pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz (Peter Gutmann) wrote:

>Here's another one... this is a list full of security geeks, so lets do a
>quick (virtual) show of hands:
>
>- How many people have at some point received signed email (S/MIME, PGP,
>whatever)?

Frequently. Most of the time I ignore the signature. I don't
really know the authors, so the mail must stand on its own as
far as creditability goes.

>- Of the above, how many people have been warned about some sort of validation
>failure in said signed email (expired cert, couldn't find the key, signature
>didn't validate, couldn't find gpg for the validation, etc)?

All of the mail I have tried to validate has validated OK.

>- Of the above again, how many people immediately deleted the email without
>looking at it (it could be a drive-by download/infection)?

I only get text email. (My mail agent does not do HTML or
links.) I generally look at the text.

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz        | Re: Hardware Management Modes: | Periwinkle
(408)356-8506      | If there's a mode, there's a   | 16345
Englewood Ave
www.pwpconsult.com | failure mode. - Jerry Leichter | Los Gatos,
CA 95032