[Cryptography] Of writing down passwords

Bear bear at sonic.net
Mon Sep 22 19:17:03 EDT 2014

On Sun, 2014-09-21 at 20:35 -0400, Harald Koch wrote:
> On 21 September 2014 07:54, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
>
>           Choose a password that your[sic] can easily remember or
>         write it down.
>
> It should be obvious by now that everything we think we know about
> passwords is wrong.
>

> These days I teach this heresy - people should choose really strong,
> hard-to-remember passwords, write them down, and stick them in their
> wallets. (obviously this doesn't apply to credit card PINs.) This is
> especially useful for rarely used passwords (like the WiFi router
> password).

Still, we're talking about the owner of a device accessing it to
administer it.

The owner of the device is distinguished from most network attackers
by having physical access to it. We even lampshade this by having a
little hole you can poke a wire into to reset it to the default password
in most cases, so it's clear we're not securing the devices against
anyone who has physical access.

So if physical access allows admin privileges anyway, why don't we
build these devices with a physical toggle switch?  Turn it ON, and
with the password, you can get an admin interface.  Turn it OFF,
and it won't respond with to any input with an admin interface no
matter what.  Turn it ON and poke the wire into the hole, and you
can reset it to the default password.  And you can see just by
looking at the device which position the switch is in.

This is simple, easy to do, easy to check, costs no more than the
toggle switch itself, and would stop 99.9% of all cases of
unintended access to the admin interface cold, especially in the
poorly-secured "home area network" markets that are the biggest
security problem on the network today.

				Bear