[Cryptography] new wiretap resistance in iOS 8?

Jonathan Thornburg jthorn at astro.indiana.edu
Sun Sep 21 21:54:40 EDT 2014

On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 09:13:27AM -0400, Jerry Leichter wrote:
[[about DES]]
> When it was approved
> in 1976, it's not clear even NSA could muster the hardware for a
> brute force attack; in fact, I'd guess not.  The first *public*
> attack wouldn't come until 1999 - 23 years later.

Actually, Diffie and Hellman published their design for a
custom-hardware DES-cracker in 1977:
  Whitfield Diffie and Martin E. Hellman
  "Exhaustive Cryptanalysis of The NBS Data Encryption Standard"
  IEEE Computer, June 1977, pages 74-84,
  http://www.computer.org/csdl/mags/co/1977/06/01646525.pdf

Their paper makes fascinating reading even today.

Their design could search the entire 2^56 DES keyspace in about a
day (mean time to solution about 12 hours), at a capital cost which
they estimated at about $20 Million (using 1976 hardware technology).

ciao,

--
-- "Jonathan Thornburg [remove -animal to reply]" <jthorn at astro.indiana-zebra.edu>
   Dept of Astronomy & IUCSS, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, USA