[Cryptography] new wiretap resistance in iOS 8?

John Kemp john at jkemp.net
Sat Sep 20 07:33:07 EDT 2014

On 09/20/2014 12:16 AM, John Gilmore wrote:
>>> Quoting from the new iOS 8 privacy policy announced tonight Wed Sep 17.
>>>    https://www.apple.com/privacy/privacy-built-in/
>
> And why do we believe them?

[...]

> There must be some other reason, I'm just having trouble thinking of it.

Because it protects them from customer liability in cases where an
individual's data is stolen? And gives them a great story for their
customers ("your data is safe with us").

Whether it protects from a "wiretap" though is another matter... one
which I presume we will know nothing about until the next NSA scandal.

- johnk