[Cryptography] RFC possible changes for Linux random device

Sandy Harris sandyinchina at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 15:32:15 EDT 2014

On Sat, Sep 13, 2014 at 3:08 PM, Jason Cooper
<cryptography at lakedaemon.net> wrote:

> + Ted Ts'o, H. Peter Anvin
>
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 07:18:58PM -0400, Sandy Harris wrote:

>> I have some experimental code to replace parts of random.c ...

> Here's my recommendation:  Follow the instructions below to generate a
> patch against the current, mainline kernel tree.  Then post the patch to
> lkml with Ted Ts'o, and H. Peter Anvin on the Cc.
>
> We need to see a diff against the mainline tree because it allows us to
> more easily review your idea(s).

I do want to do that eventually. Thanks for the pointers to instructions.

However, the code is not complete; there are a bunch of comments
suggesting where things could be added, but those parts are not
yet written. Also, I'd like to have it reviewed by the cryptography
list (where most of the ideas in it have previously been discussed)
before proposing it for the kernel.

Also, it would be a large patch. My program is over 1500 lines,
though at least half of those are comments or scaffolding for
testing it. Add the missing bits and some changes to current
code to integrate it and it would be a 1000+ line patch. I am
not sure whether or how that should be split up.

> A fair head's up:  You're going to get a lot of warnings on comment
> style.  Single-line comments are '/* ... */' and multi-line are:
>
>         /*
>          * something
>          * about the code goes here
>          */
>
> Yes, there are many ways to do it, but I always try to conform to the
> style of a given project so it's consistent within that tree.

I started off modifying random.c and deliberately chose a different
comment style so my comments could be distinguished from the
ones already in the file. I will fix this before I send patches.