[Cryptography] Vulcan Cryptanalysis: Motorola Proprietary Cipher of the 1970s

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Sat Sep 13 13:00:04 EDT 2014

http://cryptome.org/2014/09/vulcan-cryptanalysis.pdf
Vulcan: A Proprietary Cipher of the 1970s

Algorithm Description and Instant Cryptanalysis

Cornelius Jenkins Riddler

September 2014

Abstract

In the 1970s, Motorola developed a proprietary cipher known internally
as Vulcan, implemented this cipher in a custom integrated circuit, and
marketed a secure communications system based upon Vulcan under the
trade name DVP. In this paper we reveal the Vulcan cipher algorithm and
develop an eective real-time ciphertext-only cryptanalytic attack against
it. We additionally present as much historical information as we have been
able to obtain.