[Cryptography] phishing, was Encryption opinion

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Wed Sep 10 10:57:28 EDT 2014

> Most email is exchanged by people who
>already know each other - or who are introduced by mutual friends.  Most
>people never need their email systems to solve the Introduction Problem.

Really?  I don't get a lot of non-spam mail from people with whom I've
never corresponded, but the trickle I get is often of high value, from
"are you the John Levine I knew in college?" to "are you available for
this highly lucrative contract?"

One of the reason that SMTP mail wiped out all of its competitors is
that it allows unintroduced mail.  It doesn't have to be extremely
easy, but it does have to be possible.

R's,
John