[Cryptography] List of Proven Secure Ciphers / Hashes

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Tue Sep 9 00:49:20 EDT 2014

John Denker <jsd at av8n.com> writes:

>I've seen any number of hand-wavy arguments that "P = NP" would spell the end
>of public-key crypto, or worse.  However, all of these arguments seem
>seriously flawed to me.

Same here, but the reasoning is much simpler.  Let's say aliens land tomorrow
and announce "There was another gunman on the grassy knoll, we were
responsible for the Mary Celeste (sorry about that), oh, and also P = NP.  See
you in another billion years".

How does this affect practical usage of PKC in any conceivable way?  Every
textbook on crypto *theory* will need to be updated (not to mention a bunch of
other books), but what actual, *real-world* effect does it have on the
security of RSA, DH, Elgamal, and others?

Peter.