[Cryptography] distributing fingerprints etc. via QR codes etc.

John Denker jsd at av8n.com
Mon Sep 8 16:27:29 EDT 2014

Lately we've been discussing some cerebral, sophisticated things;
stuff that's hard because it's supposed to be hard.

Let's spend a moment on some low-level tricks of the trade;
stuff that is not supposed to be hard, but nevertheless
wastes your time if you have to rediscover the tricks.

On 08/27/2013 08:52 PM, Jerry Leichter wrote:

> When we meet in person, we can exchange large numbers of bits between
> our smartphones.  Hell, even a business card can easily have a QR
> code on the back.

Let's talk about that.  Yes, it is possible to put contact
information and PGP information in QR codes on a business
card ... just not in the /same/ QR code AFAICT.  It ends up
being slightly non-obvious and slightly inelegant, but it
is doable.

Details on one way of doing it can be found here:
   https://www.av8n.com/computer/htm/distributing-keys.htm

That includes some examples and some discussion of why the
more obvious approaches don't work.

The same document includes some hints on how to set the
mime types when distributing keys by http.

Additional examples of QR codes and key files can be found
at:
  https://www.av8n.com/jsd/#about

If anybody has more elegant ways of doing this, please let
us know.