[Cryptography] sunsetting SHA-1 in Chrome

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Mon Sep 8 13:22:50 EDT 2014

I think the point here is that the birthday attack is only relevant in
certain circumstances. If you are using SHA for authentication then
what matters in most contexts is if the sender really sent what they
claim.

In PPE I am using 128 bit hashes of keys because the ability to
generate two keys that hash to the same value would only harm the
party generating them.

But then again I generate those keys using SHA-2-512 and truncate...