[Cryptography] List of Proven Secure Ciphers / Hashes

Benjamin Kreuter brk7bx at virginia.edu
Thu Sep 4 16:46:06 EDT 2014

On Wed, 2014-09-03 at 03:04 -0400, grarpamp wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 9:27 PM, Tony Arcieri <bascule at gmail.com> wrote:
> > AES is not
> > proven secure, but rather relies on the fact that nobody presently knows how
> > to break AES for security.
>
> That's true for a lot (all?) of crypto.
> So what if any ciphers, hashes, asymmetrics, etc make
> up the list of formally proofed secure crypto besides the
> one time XOR? Simple links would suffice.

Define your terms.  What do you mean by "proven secure?"  We commonly
say that e.g. ElGamal is provably secure, but:

1. That is based on an unproven assumption
2. The proof only covers chosen plaintext attacks

If you want things that can be proved without any assumptions at all you
will have to exclude most cryptographic constructions.

-- Ben