[Cryptography] stories from the real life MITM book

John Denker jsd at av8n.com
Wed Sep 3 15:06:30 EDT 2014

Some all-too-rare good news on this front:
  Richard Chirgwin
  "Firefox 32 moves to kill MITM attacks"
  http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/09/03/firefox_32_moves_to_kill_mitm_attacks/

> *public-key pinning* among other things

Sounds like an important step in the right direction.

On 09/03/2014 01:57 AM, ianG wrote:

> Evidence of MITMs is so rare it has to be trumpeted.

Thanks for the pointers to recent articles.  We agree that
reported /evidence/ of MITM attacks is somewhat rare.
However, the attacks themselves are not particularly rare.

Actually the evidence is starting to get some play.  You
can find interesting stuff by googling:
  https://www.google.com/search?q=MITM&tbm=nws

For example:

   Adrian Mettler, Vishwanath Raman and Yulong Zhang
   "SSL Vulnerabilities: Who listens when Android applications talk?"
   http://www.fireeye.com/blog/technical/2014/08/ssl-vulnerabilities-who-listens-when-android-applications-talk.html

> (MITM) attacks ... are wreaking havoc on data security

> We reviewed the 1,000 most-downloaded free applications in the Google
> Play store as of July 17, 2014. Of these, 674 (~68%) have at least
> one of the three SSL vulnerabilities that we studied

Here's a particularly detailed, interesting report:

  Lin-Shung Huang, Alex Rice, Erling Ellingsen, and Collin Jackson
  "Analyzing Forged SSL Certificates in the Wild"
  https://www.linshunghuang.com/papers/mitm.pdf

> We analyzed 3,447,719 real-world SSL connections and successfully
> discovered at least 6,845 (0.2%) of them were forged SSL
> certificates.

And another:

  Ryan Gallagher
  "New Snowden Documents Show NSA Deemed Google Networks a 'Target'"
  http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2013/09/09/shifting_shadow_stormbrew_flying_pig_new_snowden_documents_show_nsa_deemed.html

> Aside from targeting Petrobras [the Brazilian state oil company],
> Fantastico revealed that in a May 2012 presentation reportedly used
> by the agency to train new recruits how to infiltrate private
> computer networks, Google is listed as a target. So are the French
> Ministry of Foreign Affairs and SWIFT, a financial cooperative that
> connects thousands of banks and is supposed to help “securely”
> facilitate banking transactions .... the NSA has apparently targeted
>  the computer networks of Saudi Arabia’s Riyad Bank and Chinese
> technology company Huawei ....

> spy agencies have [used] so-called “man-in-the-middle” attacks to
> circumvent the encryption by impersonating security certificates in
> order to intercept data.

It must be emphasized that NSA is *not* the only player in this
arena.  Maybe one of these days Ed Snowden's Chinese cousin,
Sou-Den E-Duan, will leak a few gigabytes telling us what the
Third Directorate has been up to.

There was a time when networks had no security at all, not even
against passive snooping.  You could login using telnet, sending
your password in the clear.  That would be considered gross
malpractice today.  SSH has been around for 20 years.

Until recently, in some circles, worrying about active MITM attacks
was considered tin-foil-hat paranoia.  Not anymore.  Nowadays we
need strong protection against such attacks ... much stronger than
what is presently deployed.  IMHO, continuing with things as they
are would constitute gross malpractice.