[Cryptography] In search of random numbers

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Thu Oct 23 20:09:54 EDT 2014

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 4:30 AM, Hanno Böck <hanno at hboeck.de> wrote:

> Am Thu, 23 Oct 2014 04:43:05 +1100 (EST)
> schrieb Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org>:
>
> > A wild idea just occurred to me (I get them all the time).

> The tough part is "early-boot-time-entropy" - where do you get your
> entropy if you don't have any filesystems and network access
> initialized yet?

What "early" needs are there for entropy?

Most devices will have a little or a lot of persistent
memory that can be used to save an entropy rich
seed saved from "last time" the system was live.

The internet of things... are a challenge.  Refrigerators and
TV are expected to be resource starved...  but other systems
seem to have engineering options.

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l