[Cryptography] Simon, Speck and ISO

Stephen Farrell stephen.farrell at cs.tcd.ie
Thu Oct 23 06:45:52 EDT 2014

On 22/10/14 21:17, dj at deadhat.com wrote:
> [snip]
>
> Since I expect to be at the next meeting, I'd be happy to propose some
> alternatives with better provenance

As of now, it looks like IETF protocols will be adopting chacha20
with poly1305 as per [1]. I believe that is being implemented in
a number of prominent code bases. (I didn't go check, but you can
already see such ciphersuites popping up in TLS stats even before
there's an RFC.) If ISO want to do something, that'd seem like a
better plan to me.

But please also ask 'em not to futz around and end up with
something "almost" interoperable;-) Actually, it'd be better that
they did nothing at all if that outcome were likely.

FWIW, I've heard of no equivalent implementer interest in the new
NSA algs. Not even a squeak. (But the US govt market is probably
big enough that they may get fairly widely implemented I suppose.)

S.

[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-cfrg-chacha20-poly1305