[Cryptography] Best internet crypto clock

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Thu Oct 9 01:52:29 EDT 2014

On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 10:37 PM, Peter Gutmann <pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz>
wrote:

> Tom Mitchell <mitch at niftyegg.com> writes:
>
> >A clock that is sufficiently stable for long periods of time and
> temperature
> >deltas is nearly impossible to design.
>
> You don't need a perfectly accurate clock, you just need to track the
> drift at
> the receiving end.  In fact is you can bound the transmission latency (if
> it's
> an online protocol rather than store-and-forward) you don't need a clock at
> all on the sending device.

Thanks... I saw UTS and that is a standard that folk get serious about.

A free running tick counter that never overflows is a good thing.   Freedom
from time of day issues leap seconds and more make it easy.  The frequency
choice is open and precision and accuracy is open.   An external  map of
ticks to
historic real world time (and temperature) is interesting in the right
context.
Might be interesting salt and pepper for hashing something for example. [?]

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l