[Cryptography] Creating a Parallelizeable Cryptographic Hash Function

Zooko Wilcox-OHearn zooko at leastauthority.com
Mon Oct 6 22:05:43 EDT 2014

Hello again, Jason Resch of cleversafe.

I'd like to emphasize what Philipp Jovanovic said, in case he didn't
express it strongly enough: just use BLAKE2!

BLAKE2 has been designed by skilled cryptographers (not meaning
myself) to be safe in the ways that you are wondering about, and it
has excellent performance. It is also being adopted by quite a few
other folks with similar needs (i.e. the combination of crypto and
large volumes of data).

You could also make a good case for using Keccak or Skein, which also
have parallel and/or tree modes, but I do not think you can make a
good case for hacking together some construct yourself.

Here's a presentation I gave at ACNS on "Why BLAKE2?":

https://blake2.net/acns/slides.html

Regards,

Zooko ←disclosure: I'm one of the authors of BLAKE2. The other ones
are more skilled cryptographers than I am. :-)

CEO, https://LeastAuthority.com
“Freedom matters.”