[Cryptography] The world's most secure TRNG

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Wed Oct 1 03:53:37 EDT 2014

Bill Cox wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 7:03 AM, Natanael wrote:
> > Den 30 sep 2014 09:55 skrev "Philipp Gühring":
> > > So from a marketing point of view you should put a whitener on the
> > > part.
> >
> > Yes!
>
> Thanks for that suggestion.  I'll whiten with some of the leftover gates.
> How to do a decent job sounds like a fun problem.

You need custom drivers for this device anyway, so it might be a better
idea to let the software do a decent job.  (You might want to add to the
USB packets a header with the current settings and the actual amount of
entropy; in that case there is less danger that anybody thinks this data
is a perfectly random bit stream.)

And why are you calling it a whitener instead of a randomness extractor?
The former name could imply that the output looks random, but has less
than 100% entropy.

Regards,
Clemens