[Cryptography] Underhanded Crypto

ianG iang at iang.org
Wed Nov 26 12:04:57 EST 2014

http://underhandedcrypto.com/rules/

The Underhanded Crypto contest was inspired by the famous Underhanded C
Contest, which is a contest for producing C programs that look correct,
yet are flawed in some subtle way that makes them behave
inappropriately. This is a great model for demonstrating how hard code
review is, and how easy it is to slip in a backdoor even when smart
people are paying attention.

We’d like to do the same for cryptography. We want to see if you can
design a cryptosystem that looks secure to experts, yet is backdoored or
vulnerable in a subtle barely-noticable way. Can you design an encrypted
chat protocol that looks secure to everyone who reviews it, but in
reality lets anyone who knows some fixed key decrypt the messages?

We’re also interested in clever ways to weaken existing crypto programs.
Can you make a change to the OpenSSL library that looks like you’re
improving the random number generator, but actually breaks it and makes
it produce predictable output?

If either of those things sound interesting, then this is the contest
for you.