[Cryptography] encrypted list mail, was FW: IAB Statement

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Fri Nov 21 10:31:00 EST 2014

>What's more, if this is to be more than just clear-signing, the
>user agent would have to encrypt email to the list, with the
>moderators removing the the sender's signature and encryption in
>the appropriate order, and releasing the cleartext back to the list
>through a filter than re-signs as the list and re-encrypts (to each
>recipient separately, so as not to expose the lurkers in the enveloped
>message).

As I said, Sympa already does all that for S/MIME, no software
development needed (unless, I suppose, you want to try SMIMEA.)  I was
wrong about the outbound; it encrypts each recipient's mail
separately:

http://www.sympa.org/manual/x509

But I agree that endymail is a better place for this experiment.

R's,
John