[Cryptography] New free TLS CA coming

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Thu Nov 20 02:27:37 EST 2014

Mark Atwood <me at mark.atwood.name> writes:
>On Tue, Nov 18, 2014, at 11:25, Salz, Rich wrote:
>> Initial drop of code and specs available here:
>> https://github.com/letsencrypt
>>
>> From https://letsencrypt.org/2014/11/18/announcing-lets-encrypt.html :
>
>So Mozilla et al have been giving CAcert the runaround for over 4 years now,
>and then suddenly they create a more centralized less audited "Let's Encrypt"
>shows up, and it's welcomed into the root?
>
>How... interesting.

That was my immediate reaction as well.  CACert has been given the runaround
for more than just four years, it's been more than a decade, and yet as soon
as a Mozilla-sponsored CA turns up it's in.

Perhaps someone from Mozilla would be able to explain what the difference is
that gets Let's Encrypt immediate acceptance while CACert has been left out in
the cold for more than a decade.

[CC'd to the relevant Mozilla list]

Peter.