[Cryptography] Where should I start with cryptography?

Jonathan Thornburg jthorn at astro.indiana.edu
Wed Nov 19 16:13:37 EST 2014

On 18/11/14 at 08:50pm, Juan Francisco Verhook Greco wrote:
> Hi, my name is Juan. I'm a young boy that is beginning with
> cryptography. I know python and basic c++, linux enthusiast, still
> though I just began with cryptography I want one day to build my
> own cryptographic hash function. Where should I begin? I would
> appreciate any topics regarding anything.Thanks in advance

As well as the crypto (which various other people have covered),
it's also very important to know some of the "big picture" issues
which surround the crypto.  I highly recommend Schneier's blog
(https://www.schneier.com/blog/) and the following two books:

Peter Gutmann
"Engineering Security"
drafts available free online at
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/book.pdf

Ross Anderson
"Security Engineering", 2nd Edition
Wiley, 2008, ISBN 978-0-470-06852-6

ciao,

--
-- Jonathan Thornburg <jthorn at astro.indiana.edu>
   Dept of Astronomy & IUCSS, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, USA