[Cryptography] IAB Statement on Internet Confidentiality

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 23:23:19 EST 2014

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 7:53 PM, Abe Singer <abe at oyvay.nu> wrote:
> "legacy support."

aka: Failure! (to ever move meaningfully forward)

> So why
> is it okay for the ISP to break TLS on port 25 and not on port 587?

> what business is it of the ISP to decide whether or not it's spam?

Neither is.
Blocking is Failure! (of their brains to think).
Filtering is Failure! (to realize mail is going dark and users
need to do their own filtering in their own local receive stream
with their own tools or click to install apps for dummies, call it
adblockplus for mail).

> And if the user has valid credentials to send mail via the remote MSA,
> what business is it of the ISP to decide whether or not it's spam?

> It's between the user and the MSA.

Not anymore, see dark above.

> While the ISPs intentions may have been noble (and I'm not convinced)

Used to be noble, like in the 90's, now it's just money/evil.
Build your own community ISP instead.