[Cryptography] FW: IAB Statement on Internet Confidentiality

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Mon Nov 17 16:14:56 EST 2014

On 11/17/14 at 8:54 PM, alex at alten.org wrote:

>3. You can't just add key management without dealing with
>policy adjudication. And you can't adjudicate without a
>(globally) scalable way to deal with the identity of humans and
>programs.  How do we represent and store policy attributes and
>rules? Is this beyond the purview of the IAB? If so, whom does
>the IAB coordinate with?

While the identity of humans and their programs is important for
audit trails, what is really needed for security is the
authority of humans and programs. If you know who is making a
request, you really don't know much. You still must make a
decision to grant access or not, and you run a significant risk
of confused deputies. <http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/2009/HPL-2009-30.pdf>

On the other hand, if you know the request is authorized, you
can just honor it.

>And to do this we need some sort of Reference Monitor inside each OS.  How can we do this without hardware support?

Many operating systems, KeyKOS among them, have demonstrated the
ability to provide "reference monitor" functionality with out
special hardware support. KeyKOS used supervisor/problem modes
and standard virtual memory protection. <http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~KeyKOS/agorics/KeyKos/keysafe/Keysafe.html>

Cheers - Bill