[Cryptography] From IP: Peter Swire looking for crypto policy expertise....

Peter Trei petertrei at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 18:59:27 EST 2014

Slightly off-topic, but may be of interest to some:

*From: *Peter Swire <peter at peterswire.net>
*To: *Dave Farber <dave at farber.net>
*Date: *November 7, 2014 at 8:46:30 AM EST
*Subject: **request for assistance for debate on encryption with former FBI
General Counsel*

Hello Dave:

On Monday, November 17 the New America Foundation will be hosting a debate
on the topic of FBI Director Comey’s criticisms of Apple and Google for the
encryption changes to their phones.  The moderator will be Nancy Libin,
formerly of both CDT and the Department of Justice.

Former FBI General Counsel Andrew Weissmann will be presenting the Comey
side of the argument. Andrew is an experienced litigator, former head of
the Enron Task Force and other major prosecutions.  I was in school years
ago with Andrew, and the debate will be on the merits but not personal.
 With that said, only the best arguments will work.

With that in mind, I was wondering if readers of your list might send
(off-list) resources to prepare for the debate?  Many people, in diverse
outlets, have been writing about these topics.  Although I am currently in
the midst of hiring a full-time researcher, I don’t have that help at the
moment.

If useful, I could circulate a bibliography once the debate happens.

For those in DC, the debate will be 4:00 to 5:30 p.m.  at New America,
address 1899 L St. NW #400.  it will be webcast, and may be on C-Span.

Thanks,

Peter