[Cryptography] Wind River Security Features and Cryptography Libraries

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Fri Nov 7 14:55:54 EST 2014

On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 3:57 AM, Collin Anderson <collin at averysmallbird.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 3:58 AM, Jerry Leichter <leichter at lrw.com> wrote:
>
>> What it *looks* like has happened is that Wind River (and they are
>> probably not alone) simply ignored the "pointless" step of applying for an
>> export license.  I'll bet many companies today do, too - they treat these
>> regs as relics of a bygone era.

I wonder if there is more...
CCN and other networks today picked up a bit about latent malware in
industrial
control software.   Some devices have apparently been infected for five+
years but
not activated.

Stuxnet has demonstrated that industrial control hardware is important to
industry and governments.

It is possible that there is more going on here?   We have a lot of
visibility
to bugs in Linux and GNU tools.   Not so much for a long list of
other interesting products... data bases, industrial control, network.

External hacking by white hats has gotten a heavy duty (w)rapping by the
law.
Prosecution of white and grey hats is common but the real bad guys
seem to be out of reach.  Some black hats are even making a living selling
their discoveries to agencies.     Interesting ....

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l