[Cryptography] $750k Fine for exporting crypto

Collin Anderson collin at averysmallbird.com
Tue Nov 4 13:08:09 EST 2014

I thought that the initial round of discussion linking this with the Crypto
Wars a few weeks ago was perhaps a bit gratuitous. The United States has
been expanding encryption exemptions, not constraining them. My read of the
settlement was that BIS was more concerned about Wind River Systems having
exported RTOS systems and encryption to the PRC and military elements
therein. That's not a crypto issue, that's broader Sino-American politics.
Everything else seemed tacked on out of necessity.

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 7:00 AM, Jeroen van der Ham <jeroen at dckd.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It appears that the Bureau of Industry and Security is showing its teeth
> with a $750k fine against Wind River Systems for unlawfully exporting
> encryption software to countries on the BIS list.
>

> http://www.goodwinprocter.com/Publications/Newsletters/Client-Alert/2014/1015_Software-Companies-Now-on-Notice-That-Encryption-Exports-May-Be-Treated-More-Seriously.aspx
> > We believe this to be the first penalty BIS has ever issued for the
> unlicensed export of encryption software that did not also involve
> comprehensively sanctioned countries (e.g., Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan
> or Syria). This suggests a fundamental change in BIS’s treatment of
> violations of the encryption regulations.
>
> See also the discussion here: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8551825
>
> Jeroen.

*Collin David Anderson*
averysmallbird.com | @cda | Washington, D.C.