[Cryptography] client certificates / client-side proxy

ianG iang at iang.org
Thu May 29 09:30:53 EDT 2014

On 28/05/2014 22:36 pm, Ben Laurie wrote:
> On 28 May 2014 16:22, Guido Witmond <guido at witmond.nl> wrote:
>> On 05/28/14 01:40, John Gilmore wrote:
>>> This is not a recipe for either
>>> good UI design nor end-to-end security.
>>
>> Don't worry, it's just a prototype. The proxy is to get a clean slate in
>> crypto and key management, independent of the browser. In fact, if it
>> works well, it could be implemented in a browser plug in as well as a
>> stand-alone library for mobile apps.
>>
>> The goal is to show how it can solve the problems we currently face in
>> internet security, such as password management, phishing, privacy,
>> anonymity.
>
> I despair. The one problem we face is good UI design. Obviously the
> crypto works.

Same as it was, 10 years back when this whole security thing started to
become interesting.

So why is good UI design so hard?

Here's my answer, or at least the journey to understanding:  Have you
ever tried to talk to a team and asked them to do something radically
different?

The problem isn't the design.  It's the institution.

iang