[Cryptography] USG asks for time served (7 months) as Sabu's sentence

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Mon May 26 22:44:12 EDT 2014

On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 8:07 AM, ianG <iang at iang.org> wrote:
> On 24/05/2014 15:12 pm, John Young wrote:
>> USG asks for time served (7 months) as Sabu's sentence for
>> "extraordinary cooperation" with FBI to rat, admit, aid.
>>
>> http://cryptome.org/2014/05/monsegur-029-030.pdf
>
> Interesting!  Aside from the human interest aspects of the story, the
> FBI calculates some damages (blue page 8, edited to drop non-damages
> estimates):
>

> =============
> In the PSR, Probation correctly calculates that the defendant’s base
> offense level is 7 pursuant to U.S.S.G. §2B1.1(a)(1) and correctly
> applies a 22-level enhancement in light of a loss amount between $20
> million and $50 million [4]; a 6-level enhancement given that the
> offense involved more than 250 victims;
>
> _____
> 4 This loss figure includes damages caused not only by hacks in which
> Monsegur personally and directly participated, but also damages from
> hacks perpetrated by Monsegur’s co- conspirators in which he did not
> directly participate. Monsegur’s actions personally and directly caused
> between $1,000,000 and $2,500,000 in damages.

The request makes clear he is admitting to a lot more than just the
well publicized hacktivism. Monsegur admits to hacking for profit
including major credit card frauds. That sort of behavior isn't
exactly the sort of thing Anonymous and lulzsec used to publicize
their involvement in.

Also note the suggestion that no prosecutions have resulted from the
anonymous part of the investigation. I wonder why not. Did they fail
to identify the members or is there some reason not to prosecute (like
information that might be revealed if they did).