[Cryptography] How secure are hashed passwords?

Bob Simmons bsimmons at compassnet.com
Thu May 22 10:12:44 EDT 2014

On 21 May 2014 at 18:45, Tony Arcieri wrote:

> Previous breaches have given us a lot of data about how people use passwords. An awful lot of
> people are still using extremely weak passwords like "123456" or "password". No password
> hashing algorithm that's actually useful can reasonably defend against these commonly used,
> weak passwords.

Not excusing the use of weak passwords, but some sites (like Paypal) won't let you paste
into the "new password" and "confirm password" fields. Do you want to manually type in a
20 character string from a password generator? I get out the dice at that point.

Bob

--
Bob Simmons
Houston, Texas
bsimmons at compassnet.com
PGP Key ID: 0x95513124

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying
the cross. -- Sinclair Lewis