[Cryptography] New attacks on discrete logs?

Jonathan Katz jkatz at cs.umd.edu
Wed May 21 22:11:05 EDT 2014

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 9:00 PM, Jerry Leichter <leichter at lrw.com> wrote:

> I can't figure out from these two articles exactly what's been attacked.
>  (It's not even clear to me if they are describing two *different*
> attacks.)  Anyone been following the details?
>
> http://phys.org/news/2014-05-unassailable-encryption-algorithm-hours.html
>
> http://phys.org/news/2014-05-algorithm-cryptography.html

Best I can tell, the top article is talking about this paper:
  http://eprint.iacr.org/2014/300
but it's not clear to me what "family of algorithms presented as candidates
for the next generation of encryption keys" the article is referring to.

The second article is talking about this, earlier paper:
  http://arxiv.org/abs/1306.4244