[Cryptography] Facebook on the state of STARTTLS

Eric Mill eric at konklone.com
Mon May 19 00:35:51 EDT 2014

It's quite encouraging, actually:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/protect-the-graph/the-current-state-of-smtp-starttls-deployment/1453015901605223

"We found that 76% of unique MX hostnames that receive our emails support
STARTTLS. As a result, 58% of notification emails are successfully
encrypted. Additionally, certificate validation passes for about half of
the encrypted email, and the other half is opportunistically encrypted. 74%
of hosts that support STARTTLS also provide Perfect Forward Secrecy.

It's clear to us that STARTTLS has achieved critical mass and there is
immediate value in deploying it. We encourage anyone who has not already
deployed STARTTLS to at least deploy it for opportunistic encryption. As
more systems support email encryption, the value increases for everyone."

-- Eric

--
konklone.com | @konklone <https://twitter.com/konklone>