[Cryptography] Is it time for a revolution to replace TLS?

ianG iang at iang.org
Thu May 15 09:26:54 EDT 2014

(meta-thoughts)

On 14/05/2014 02:59 am, Tom Mitchell wrote:
> On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 1:01 PM, John Denker <jsd at av8n.com> wrote:

>> This thread has generated a lot of good discussion.  In contrast,
>> to my surprise, the recent thread on "forged SSL certificates" was
>> only one message long.
>
> I was wondering the same thing as I read the paper last night.
> Then I wondered how many had marked it for further thought
> as I had.

I've noticed that we always get long threads when the subject is (a)
well known and (b) there is an identifiable disagreeing party, who might
or might not be here.

On the other hand, when opinions aren't well formed, most posts go with
less attention.  Which seems to indicate we prefer to spend time honing
our existing treasures & beliefs rather than developing new ones.

I personally had a bit of a wakeup call last month when I researched the
origins of Bitcoin for a post/forum I was at (happening every week these
days).

I found that Bitcoin was aired in this very forum, back in 2009/2010.
Hal and James and others tackled it, gave it their best.  I did not.

Why?  Because I have this belief that PoW breaks Gresham's Law and
therefore it'll never work as a money.  Big oops.  I'm trying to be more
accommodating with my anti-beliefs now...

iang