[Cryptography] How to lock registers with GCC?

Lodewijk andré de la porte l at odewijk.nl
Fri May 9 09:50:36 EDT 2014

One might prevent the scheduler from kicking in for as long as the crypto
program is running.

One may also use a minimalistic (read: raspberry/arduino) device to do the
crypto. Then, too, is using registers a safer way of doing things.

Given OP is already poking through GCC I suspect the level of hardcoreness
might be high enough to warrant the use of a minimalistic CPU as a
coprocessor for crypto. This has other advantages too, the greatest being
that the OS/Computer cannot access the crypto data or otherwise influence
it's computation.

Of course, all depends on what's what.

You could recompile the whole OS without the use of some registers. You'd
take a performance hit. Programs will still be able to access the sacred
registers. You'd have to lift the crypto into the kernel to avoid regular
programs doing it. Then the kernel can still f with you, but it can always
f with you. (That's why microkernels are secretly better)

I am not hardcore enough to actually do these things (yet?).