[Cryptography] Dan Geer on IoT

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Fri May 9 08:23:02 EDT 2014

https://securityledger.com/2014/05/security-and-internet-of-things-can-we-talk/

Attendees will hear an address by Dr. Dan Geer, the Chief Security
Officer at In-Q-Tel, the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency's investment
arm. Dan is one of the smartest and most prescient thinkers in the
security world, who has made headlines by warning about the dangers
of our reliance of technology monocultures like Microsoft's Windows
operating systems. Most recently, Dan has been sounding similar alarms
about an (emerging) monoculture of "small devices and the chips that run
them." In other words: just because the network of the future doesn't
have a Windows sticker and "Intel Inside" logo on it, doesn't mean that
the same kinds of problems don't exist.

Many of you who have been following this blog know that the Security
Ledger is particularly interested in covering the (fast) evolving border
line between "traditional" IT security and the terra incognito of the
Internet of Things.

This week, we're taking that discussion to the next level with our
first-ever event: The Security of Things Forum (or SECoT for short).
SECoT is going to be an amazing day of discussion and debate about
what I consider one of the foremost challenges facing the
technology community in the next decade: securing a rapidly
expanding population of intelligent and Internet-connected devices.