[Cryptography] One third IT managers think homomorphic is already here

Caspar Bowden (lists) lists at casparbowden.net
Sun May 4 08:50:14 EDT 2014

On 03/05/14 01:40, John Ioannidis wrote:
> On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 6:39 AM, Caspar Bowden (lists)
> <lists at casparbowden.net> wrote:
>> Relax guys, those of you straining to achieve 10^9 speed-up in homomorphic
>> crypto, or other ingenious ways to use crypto in Cloud computing can slacken
>> the pace.
>>
>> Apparently one third of IT managers* (Q.25), are already using crypto in
>> Cloud applications, and they have exclusive control of the key, so panic
>> over.
> What was the point of posting this in a video? What's wrong with text?

Hmm. When I posted it there was a clickbox to download whole .pdf report
(28 pages), but apologies I did not alert that registration required
(but it was kind of obvious)

The Download box is not there any more (but maybe pdf still available
behind registration). I wonder why that might be.

Here's the relevant text (red is my emphasis) and screenshot with graphs

CB

    *Who controls the encryption keys*

    Figure 24 examines the issue of control over encryption keys in the
    cloud environment for both encryption of data
    at rest and encryption of data at the application level. Thirty-four
    percent of respondents believe their organization
    is in control of encryption keys for *both* data encrypted at the
    *application level* and at rest in the cloud
    environment. Another 28 percent and 29 percent believe control of
    encryption keys is a *shared activity between**
    **the organization and the cloud provider*. Only 19 percent and 17
    percent of respondents, respectively, view the
    cloud provider as having control over encryption keys for either
    encryption at the application level or for data at
    rest

    [Figure 24]

    Figure 25 shows German organizations are the most likely to say
    their organizations have control of encryption
    keys *at the application level *and for data at rest in the cloud.
    Brazilian respondents are the least likely to say their
    organizations have control over encryption keys at the application
    level and for data at rest in the cloud.

    *Figure 25. Percentage of respondents who say their organization is
    in control of encryption keys*
    Consolidated analysis for encryption at *both the application level*
    and for data at rest in the cloud by country
    sample

    [Figure 25]
    screenshot of Fig.24/25 of pdf