[Cryptography] Need Debunking help

Brian M. Waters brian at brianmwaters.net
Sat May 3 18:50:28 EDT 2014

On Fri, 2 May 2014 11:55:32 -0400
Joshua Marpet <joshua.marpet at guardedrisk.com> wrote:
> I have been asked to take a look at a system. I looked at the video,
> read a whitepaper, and it immediately screamed "BullCrap!!" to me.
>
> I am going to sign up for a trial,

You don't have to look at the whois records or the code to see that
this is some sort of scam. There are dozens of red flags in the
5-minute YouTube video, including:

1) "Cryptography hasn't changed much in over 3,000 years" ...what?
2) They claim AES-128 can be broken in 10 years. I don't even think the
   NSA could pull that off.
3) They mention AES-512, which *doesn't exist* (unless you count double
   AES-256 as "AES-512") (0:55)
4) The narrator claims to be a "former black hat hacker..." in a
   marketing video intended for a *corporate audience*. If he's lying,
   he's a liar, and if he's telling the truth, you're trusting your
   data to a criminal.
5) What the hell is an echelon hacker? Stealth technology?
6) And who is "certifying" their "stealth certified technology?"

Even if they have a working system, it violates the number-one rule of
cryptography: don't use proprietary cryptosystems. And they clam it's
the "strongest grade encryption ever used."

I don't think it's malware, though. There are easier ways to get
malware out there than an elaborate fraud like this. It's probably more
like a classic phone scam, trying to fleece folks into signing up, and
running with the card numbers.

I wouldn't even sign up for the free trial.

BMW

--
Brian M. Waters
Burlington, Vermont, USA