[Cryptography] One third IT managers think homomorphic is already here

Steve Weis steveweis at gmail.com
Fri May 2 19:13:52 EDT 2014

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 3:39 AM, Caspar Bowden (lists) <
lists at casparbowden.net> wrote:

>  Relax guys, those of you straining to achieve 10^9 speed-up in
> homomorphic crypto, or other ingenious ways to use crypto in Cloud
> computing can slacken the pace.
>
> Apparently one third of IT managers*<https://www.thales-esecurity.com/knowledge-base/analyst-reports/encryption-in-the-cloud-english>(Q.25), are already using crypto in Cloud applications, and they have
> exclusive control of the key, so panic over.

I only watched the video, but it doesn't mention anything at all about
homomorphic encryption. I suspect most of the self-reported people using
"encryption in the cloud" simply encrypt locally and store ciphertext
remotely. That would include using products like CipherCloud, Perspecsys,
Porticor, Tarsnap, Boxcryptor, Spideroak, Sookasa, and many others.