[Cryptography] Interesting reddit AMA re crypto

Peter Trei petertrei at gmail.com
Thu May 1 21:42:31 EDT 2014

There was a reddit Ask Me Anything thread today:
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/24gt7j/we_are_groups_working_for_strong_crypto_standards/

Lots of good questions and answers regarding useability, ubiquity, and
trustworthiness.

Not deeply technical by this list's standards, but worth checking out.

Opening message:
- start -

*My short bio:* Representatives from Access, CDT, EFF, Silent Circle, and
the Sunlight Foundation will discuss efforts to strengthen encryption
principles and remove the NSA involvement in the standard setting process.
Snowden documents have revealed NSA efforts to undermine encryption
standards set by the National Institute of Standards and Technology
(ironically the NSA’s mission includes “information assurance”). Between
Heartbleed, large-scale data breaches, and overbroad surveillance, data is
being compromised at an unprecedented level. We will talk about efforts by
coalition of digital rights, technology, privacy, and open government
groups to call on NIST to strengthen cryptography principles.

Participants include: Amie Stepanovich (astepanovich), Access Joseph Hall
(joebeone), CDT Nate Cardozo (natecardozo), EFF Kurt Opsahl (kurtopsahl),
EFF Sean Vitka (svitka), Sunlight Foundation

- end -

Peter Trei