[Cryptography] OpenPGP and trust

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Mon Mar 31 17:53:26 EDT 2014

On Sat, 29 Mar 2014, Watson Ladd wrote:

[ Desperately trying to get back to crypto ]

> Aren't MACs okay? I believe the 2003 ARRL handbook explains that each
> command to an OSCAR is suffixed with an authentication code to prevent
> mischief.

I hadn't heard of MACs at the time; Applied Cryptography had yet to be
published :-)

These days, if I ever got back into repeater maintenance, I'd probably
use a MAC.  Repeaters and control stations have plenty of grunt these
days, but back then it was a Z-80 at both ends...

-- Dave, with obscure applications for crypto