[Cryptography] ideas for (long) Nothing up my sleeve numbers

Judd Storrs jstorrs at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 11:47:19 EDT 2014

For "nothing up your sleeve" what about using well-known data to
reproducibly derive the numbers? For example you could use one of the
typical image processing test images[1] such as cameraman, peppers,
mandril or Lena using versions taken from curated databases[2].
Similarly, you could use census data or other government publications
that are widely archived and curated. The bitcoin blockchain is also a
possibility--you could process the first 1000 or so bitcoin blocks.
Whatever processing would have to be simple and the data you rely on
would have to be unlikely to be crafted by you.

[1] http://web.eecs.utk.edu/courses/fall2011/ece572/testimage.htm
[2] http://sipi.usc.edu/database/