[Cryptography] OpenPGP and trust

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sun Mar 30 01:56:38 EDT 2014

On Sat, 29 Mar 2014, Watson Ladd wrote:

[ Encryption over Amateur Radio ]

> > Naturally I changed the key every so often, because the idiots
> > regarded it as a challenge to decrypt my commands (I'd quickly learned
> > to avoid replay attacks by using some sort of a rolling-key scheme),
> > but strong crypto was, and still is, a definite no-no.
>
> Aren't MACs okay? I believe the 2003 ARRL handbook explains that each
> command to an OSCAR is suffixed with an authentication code to prevent
> mischief.

Can't remember (well, you show me wet-ware that's still working after 60+
years) but yeah, encryption is allowed for satellite commands and the
like; we merely had to inform the powers-that-be of our scheme.

I don't think that anyone has hijacked an Amateur satellite yet, but I do
recall that, err, pr0n broadcast over a commercial bird...  No doubt the
Mums and Dads were desperately trying to cover the eyes of their little
ones, whilst desperately searching for the off switch :-)

Moral: Always expect the unexpected, then you'll never be surprised.

-- Dave, with a seriously warped sense of humour