[Cryptography] The role of the IETF in security of the Internet: for or against the NSA? for or against the security of users of the net?

Guido Witmond guido at witmond.nl
Wed Mar 26 04:53:02 EDT 2014

On 03/26/14 00:32, Stephen Farrell wrote:

> Its a shame that people do not (or will not?) take in
> that anyone can write an internet-draft about anything
> and post their draft.

Hi Stephen,

I have this crazy idea about using client certificates to create
authenticated yet anonymous/pseudonymous accounts, making cryptography
transparent to the end users. (Site builders, operators and hosters do
have some work to do).

I would love to write my ideas in a draft.

My fear is that the barons and kings of this world won't like it as they
lose much of their surveillance capabilities. With many members of the
IETF being henchmen of the barons, they will outvote me any time.

Or have the times changed since the Revelations of a Contractor and is
there a genuine wish at the barons and kings levels to make privacy a
birth-right?

Is that fear justified? Or is it paranoia? What are the experiences on this?

Regards, Guido.