[Cryptography] BLAKE2: "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" Than MD5

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 21:52:33 EDT 2014

"We hypothesized that offering engineers a hash function that was both
faster and more secure than their beloved MD5 or SHA-1 might be more
effective than haranguing them to upgrade to an alternative that is
more secure but slower."

I guess that makes me just like all the other geeks who care about
speed!  Actually, if anything, there aren't enough of us anymore.
Blake2 rocks.  It pains me to switch to slower, more secure systems
when the old one has not yet been broken (I hung onto ARC4-DROP(N)
longer than most).  I think people forget that in many cases,
increased speed results in increased security.

Bill