[Cryptography] Client certificates as a defense against MITM attacks

Guido Witmond guido at witmond.nl
Wed Mar 19 05:16:39 EDT 2014

On 03/19/14 01:01, Peter Gutmann wrote:
> Guido Witmond <guido at witmond.nl> writes:
>
>> Here it goes for two, still free men:
>>
>> [Pages of text]
>
> The (elided) text above is the "A crypto nerd's imagination" part.  The "What
> would actually happen" part is that the two guys get about three or four hours
> into the calisthenics required (which would be about the second or third
> paragraph in the description) and then decide "Bugger this, I'm off to my
> favourite bar to see if I can pick someone up there, and damn the mutaween".

> It's no good having a system so super-duper-secure that you can use it to
> protect nuclear weapons launch codes if it's so hard to use that no-one can do
> anything with it.

Hi Peter,

What if a user agent could do all that crypto-nerd stuff so the only
actions for the gays would be:

- Sign up;
- Post message;
- Reply message;
- Send a few more if the original date and place are not suitable;
- Delete usb-stick;
- meet up.

All those [Pages of text] that you took out are for fellow crypto-nerds
to shoot holes in it.

Regards,

Guido Witmond.