[Cryptography] We need a new encryption algorithm competition.

Tony Arcieri bascule at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 18:50:45 EDT 2014

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 1:40 PM, Krisztián Pintér <pinterkr at gmail.com>wrote:

> i would really appreciate some expert opinions on curveCP. this thing
> is out there for years, and all i hear is silence.

Well first, the CurveCP implementation isn't usable. It's not really a
library so much as external programs you can talk to which handle the
termination.

Another part of the problem is CurveCP is built on UDP. I'm not really sure
why it's built on UDP as djb classes TCP Vegas decongestion as "good":

http://curvecp.org/decongestion.html

UDP is often dropped on the floor amidst TCP congestion, as this
experimental measurement of CurveCP demonstrates:

http://www.delaat.net/rp/2010-2011/p48/report.pdf

See chart on Page 15, "CurveCP bandwidth with competing TCP traffic
(10MBit)"

CurveZMQ has reimplemented CurveCP on top of TCP, but it has been
special-cased for the 0MQ protocol:

http://curvezmq.org/

Then there's MinimaLT:

http://cr.yp.to/tcpip/minimalt-20130522.pdf